Friday, April 20, 2012

Multiplication using The Ants Go Marching

Whew - we are right in the middle of our multiplication unit. The kids are pumped about their ice cream sundaes they are working to earn. My chart is hung up right on the door so everyone passing by in the hall can see it.You can read more about that here.

I've been busy busy trying to help the kids understand arrays. They get the facts and are pretty good at skip counting but they still don't quite get the arrays. Well I love poetry and music so I fused together some ideas toh help fix this. So, here it is!


 Instead of ants this packet features flies buzzing and bears marching. This line repeats over and over in each stanza.
The bears go marching one by five, hurrah, hurrah
In search of snacks that are alive, hurrah, hurrah..
The first number changes in each stanza so the kids are building arrays. They are forced to analyze how many groups of five and how many in total.



Here is a picture of the recording sheet and the manipulative circles. We used Teddy Grams as our manipulative. At this point the poem had been read through the third stanza.  

Close up of the manipulative circles. 


 Here is the fourth stanza. I wrote this poem myself and the kids LOVED it! :) If you are interested in this match packet please click here.


The bears go marching four by five, hurrah, hurrah
In search of snacks that are alive, hurrah, hurrah.
And now there is a thunderous roar,
Coming from the forest floor.
Using attitude, being rude, hunting food.
 Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum.

I will give this one away as a freebie. Just be sure you follow my store and leave me a comment on my blog with your email address.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment